On January 26-27, ALL-UKRAINIAN SCIENTIFIC AND PEDAGOGICAL SEMINAR DEDICATED TO THE INTERNATIONAL HOLOCAUST REMEMBRANCE DAY was held in Dnipro. Event organizers are Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, “Tkuma” Ukrainian Institute for Holocaust Studies, Museum “Jewish Memory and Holocaust in Ukraine”.
During the two days of the seminar, teachers who came from all over Ukraine had a rich educational program.:
- GUIDED TOUR in Museum “Jewish Memory and Holocaust in Ukraine” by researcg staff Dr. Olena Ishchenko;
- SPEECHES-PRESENTATIONS by Prof. Ihor Kocherhin (Culture of the Holocaust remembrance in Ukraine”) and Dr. Igor Shchupak (“Current issues of the Holocaust studying and teaching”) – you can watch it on the YouTube channel of “Tkuma” Institute;
- MASTER CLASS “Lets create a board game. Universal tips”, conducted by Serhii Kolisnichenko, history teacher of Lyceum of Kropyvnytskyi City Council, methodist of Vasyl Sukhomlynsʹkyi Kirovohrad Regional Institute of Postgraduate Pedagogical Education and Oleksandra Bykova, graduate student, lecturer at the Flight Academy of the National Aviation University;
- HISTORICAL WEBINAR, dedicated to the International Holocaust Remembrance Day: “Wannsee Conference: the view of historians from a distance of 80 years; Ukrainian dimension of the Holocaust”, where they had a conversation with Dr. Yehor Vradii, deputy director of “Tkuma” Institute and Holocaust Museum and editor-in-chief of the International Scholarly Journal “Holocaust Studies: A Ukrainian Focus” Dr. Anna Medvedovska. The webinar is available online.
- PRACTICE SESSION “Genre of immersive theater – innovative pedagogical form” from a secondary school № 18 history teacher Iryna Matkovska (Vinnytsia) тand teachers of foreign literature school № 18 Svitlana Yaroshenko (Vinnytsia).
- LECTURE-CONVERSATION “Work with historical sources to cover the history of World War II and the Holocaust in Vinnytsia”, held by Dr.Fayina Vynokurova, deputy director for scientific and methodological work of the State Archives of Vinnytsia Region, candidate of historical sciences, Honored Worker of Culture of Ukraine;
- MINI-WORKSHOP “How cartoons reveal the Holocaust” from the director, teacher of history of the Annunciation educational complex №2 “Institution of general secondary education of І-ІІІ grades – preschool institution “Dyvocvit” Ulʹyanovsʹka Rayonna Rada, Finalist of the national stage of the World Competition Global Teacher Prize 2020 Oleksandra Chuchaeva (Kirovohrad region);
- WORKSHOP “The editor himself. We work with historical texts»”, organized by candidate of science in social communications, associate professor of journalism at the National University “Zaporizhzhia National Technical” Natalia Ostrovska.
Moreover, presentation of educational and methodical publication “Lessons of the Holocaust in the creative works of teachers – participants of “Ткума” Institute educational programs”. This collection is extremely interesting and useful for educators, because it contains original methods for studying and teaching the Holocaust history and other genocides. Among the works of teachers, in particular: creative and exploratory project “Persecuted by history: “Journey” by Ida Fink, or the Museum of one Book”, optional lesson “Righteous among the Nations”, lesson plan-summary “Modernist depiction of the Holocaust tragedy in the work “Todesfuge” by Paul Celan”, methodical development of intelligent online game “History of the Holocaust in Poltava region”, lesson-web quest “Deprived of their homeland. Deportation of Crimean Tatars”, methodical development “Piercing notes of memory: the tragedy of the Holocaust in music” etc.