On December 6, 2016 regular pedagogical seminar organized by “Tkuma” Ukrainian Institute for Holocaust Studies in cooperation with Dnipro Regional Institute for Holocaust Studies was conducted. Teachers of Dnipro secondary schools became participants of the seminar. Program of the event included visit to Museum “Jewish Memory and Holocaust in Ukraine” (guided tour was organized by Dr. Iegor Vradiy, Head of Museum and Research Department) and discussion on the reforms of school education system in Ukraine. Interactive lesson was conducted by Dr. Igor Shchupak, Director of “Tkuma” Institute and the Holocaust Museum.
During the communication with the teachers the most topical issues were raised:
- the essence of the education reform, the issues of teacher qualifications and competence of students;
- Ukrainian vision of world history and significance of history for the present;
- cleaning of domestic history from the Soviet and modern Russian myths and falsifications: from the Middle Ages to World War Two and the Holocaust;
- analysis of teachers’ methodological mistakes;
- presentation of new editions by Prof. P-R. Magocsi and Prof. Y. Petrovsky-Shtern “Jews and Ukrainians: A Millennium of Co-Existence” and “Babyn Yar”, edited by Prof. P-R. Magocsi and Prof. V. Hrynevych.
At the end of the seminar Iryna Piskariova, “Tkuma” Institute Educational Programs Coordinator, conducted practical training on the use of visual sources during the history lessons.